Voluntary Arts is on of the founding members of Amateo, the European network for those who believe that active participation in cultural activities:
- should be better acknowledged for its importance to art, society, and individuals by politicians, bureaucrats, researchers, opinion leaders, and professional artists;
- should be recognised as worthy of support from national and EU institutions;
- should be encouraged by the reduction of bureaucratic obstacles.
Amateo was established in Ljubljana, Slovenia, on 21 June 21 2008, and was registered as an international organisation under Belgian law on 2 October 2008, in Ghent, Belgium.
Amateo was created by members of several European organisations (including Voluntary Arts) dealing with amateur, free-time, socio-cultural, voluntary activities and the culture of local areas through the conferences ‘art4all’ in Utrecht (2004) and ‘Value, Include, Connect’ in Cardiff (2005).
After several meetings of the initiative committee (in Ljubljana and Copenhagen) the turning point was the Ljubljana Conference (2008) where the European network was formally founded.
- Amateo website: www.amateo.info
- Amateo Facebook page: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21963566455
- Download the PDF file about the establishing of Amateo, during the international conference held in Slovenia on June 2008
- Research report: from the conference 2012 Amateo conference, Everyone’s a Winner – ‘A skeleton overview of the state of the amateur arts in Europe’
This post is also available in: Welsh